Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm In!

About a month ago, I posted about sending off my application for British Citizenship to the never-never land that is the Home Office. Advice on the Home Office website said it could be anywhere between three and six months before I heard anything, so I braced myself for the worst.

Saturday morning, I noticed a thin letter with a Liverpool post code in our front hallway. My heart sank. The Home Office was in Liverpool - they must be contacting me to tell me I've missed out something. I tore it open and out fell... an invitation to attend my citizenship ceremony on May 25! My application had been approved in just a month -- and I now declare May 25 to be my British Birthday.

I will never bad-mouth the Home Office again. (Not that I ever did in the first place, of course. I love you, Home Office, if you're reading this...). Just one request: can you please relocate my passport and driver's license, as they appear to be MIA?

Bring on the Yorkshire Pudding. Bring on the warm ale. I'm in, baby!

9 comments:

Kim said...

Great news! Congrats!

Ann said...

Congratulations!

Elle Field said...

Congratulations!! {^_^}

Theresa Milstein said...

Congratulations! I'd celebrate by eating a lot of chips.

Anonymous said...

I'm dead jealous. Congratulations!

Lost in London said...

Bravo!!! Félicitations

Marsha said...

Thanks, everyone! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Blighty!

Remember: tea is always served piping hot, gravy is needed to go with that Yorkshire pudding and a day with 10 minutes of sunshine justifies the wearing of shorts :-)

Nayuleska said...

Huge congratulations! That's so awesome. Drink tea, eat shortbread, scones with jam and cream (clotted cream, none of that regular stuff), strawberries....

Yay! Welcome to our crazy world :D