Monday, December 14, 2009

2009 Reading List: Progress (or Lack Thereof) Report

Back in January, I put together a reading list for the year ahead. I stuck to it for awhile (OK, a month or two) before I got sidetracked by other books I wanted to read. So I still have a lot of reading to do in a very short time!

The red books are the ones I did get around to reading. A Year in Provence is by far one of the best books I read this year. Peter Mayle is a brilliant writer.

If you had to choose, what would be your favourite book read this year?

Beloved - Toni Morrison
The Kitchen God's Wife - Amy Tan
Music and Silence - Rose Tremain
I Know why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou
Small Island - Andrea Levy
Pillow Talk - Freya North
Riders - Jilly Cooper
Herb n Lorna - Erik Kraft
The Best a Man Can Get - John O'Farrell
The Consolations of Philosophy - Alain de Botton
Little Black Book of Stories - AS Byatt
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M Pirsig
A Year in Provence - Robert Mayle
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Complete Poems - Elizabeth Bishop
Summer Lightening - PG Wodehouse
The Outcast - Sadie Jones
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
A Mercy - Toni Morrison
The Believers - Zoe Heller
The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry

3 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I love A Year in Provence, and all the following Provence books. And btw, your interview is up on my blog!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Will think about it. My aging brain is particularly slow today!

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh, it's hard to choose a favourite! Here's my list: http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-ii.html
Isn't Wodehouse fun? :-)