Sunday, July 25, 2010

On Yer Bike!

Ping-pong aside, it's now my turn to be excited! Because finally, London's Cycle Hire Scheme is about to begin! And even more thrilling, one of the rental docks is just around the corner from where we live.

The empty rental docks in Kensington.


I haven't had a bike since my uni days (and I'm not going to say how long ago that was). Although I've contemplated several times buying a bike in London to glide through the pathways of the park, I've always come up against a typical London problem: storage. But now -- starting on Friday -- I can round the corner, pop in some change, and cycle my rented bike all the way from Kensington Gardens to Hyde Park and beyond!

The cycle hire sign, ready for its debut this Friday.

Since I'm terrified of traffic, I definitely won't be going on-road. But come next Friday, if you see a blonde streaking past you (not that kind of streaking!) in the park, I'm finally on my bike!

4 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

These were all over Paris, and Boston is supposed to get them soon. You'll have to tell me how it is.

Kim said...

They started this in Dublin last year and it's actually been quite successful! The only downside is that the bikes do go pretty quickly. You do see them moving the bikes around the city in trucks and they're putting up new docking stations all the time.

heatherfeather said...

After seeing how Londoners drives, don't think I'd want to ride though London on a bike, even in the so called bike lanes(death lanes!)

But riding through the park sound fun. Just wonder how many bikes will get nicked, a big problem for the Paris public bikes.

I hope you'll write about the experience. The families in Paris seemed to really enjoy it.

Covnitkepr1 said...

Oil companys have to hate bicycles.
I like to follow writer’s blogs as I feel I learn from each one. I have a book of Communion devotionals at the printers which I authored, although I don’t consider myself an accomplished writer. I am a follower on your blog and invite you to follow mine as well…and please leave a comment when and if you visit.