Monday, July 12, 2010

Hidden London: The Old Royal Naval College

While you could hardly say it's 'hidden', this collection of Baroque buildings is a world away from the hustle and bustle of maritime Greenwich. I've been to Greenwich several times but never had I thought about wandering into the campus of the Old Royal Naval College, just a five-minute walk from the Cutty Sark DLR.


Last weekend, I attended the Romantic Novelists' Association Conference held within the grounds of the College. As nervous as I was, as I approached the building where the conference was being held I couldn't help but look around me in awe. Every building loomed over me with perfect proportions; it was almost like wandering around the Vatican!

Designed by Sir Christopher Wren as a hospital for pensioners, the College took over the buildings after the hospital closed in 1869. Admission is free and you can take a wander around the grounds -- including the chapel and the Painted Hall -- anytime between 10 am and 7 pm. For information, go here.

If you want to here more about the conference and see a few extra photos, head over to my Talli Roland blog.

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know I love these pictures!!!! I love hearing about the experience!!!

Happy Monday Talli!

Cassandra Frear said...

Looks very, ah, romantic. :-)

Theresa Milstein said...

Beautiful photos. Pensioners never get housing like that these days.