Monday, February 2, 2009

Snow Day!

As a Canadian, I should be used to snow. However, living in London has softened me considerably. When I first moved here after spending a winter in the Arctic frigidity of Ottawa, I told everyone that if I never saw snow again, it would be too soon. Five years on, though, I have to admit I do miss that unique snow-smell (if you've grown up with it, you'll know what I mean) and the quiet that falls over a city when white flakes drift through the polluted air.




Snow-covered tree on our terrace.



When the flakes started falling last night, I was sure it would all be well over by the time I awoke. But by 7 a.m. this morning, the snow was still falling and London was covered in a film of white. Perhaps because I didn't have to go anywhere, I actually felt excited -- I wanted to go explore this new world.



Street behind Notting Hill Gate.


It was strange to see this new London. Everything was bright, white and pure-looking.




Phone boxes, Kensington Church Street.


Kensington Gardens was packed with Londoners busy making snowmen, sliding down the (small) hills and throwing snowballs. There was a festive atmosphere in the air, as if we'd all been given an unexpected holiday.




Kensington Gardens.

But my favourite thing by far had to be the snowman built outside our local pub, The Churchill Arms. Smoking a cigar and with its very own beer tap, it embodied the high spirits of Londoners in the snow.


3 comments:

Criss L. Cox said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

(This is how I like to experience snow -- vicariously through others' photos and retellings of the event. Yes, it's beautiful, but TOO COLD for my wimpy self.)

Nancy J. Parra said...

Ha- living in Chicago, I know that snow smell. They came again today with a dump truck and hauled more snow from my street.

Great photos-thanks.

Marsha said...

I agree with you, Criss - snow is too cold! I'm done with it now after only one day.

Nancy - dump trucks to remove the snow! I remember those from my Montreal days. They don't even have snow ploughs here.