Thursday, January 8, 2009

When the Sky's Not Grey, It's... Orange?




Strange orange in London sky. Both photos taken at 3:15 p.m.


Woody Allen, who's shot a few films in London ('Match Point', Cassandra's Dream'), professes to love London's grey skies more than anything else about the city. London's grey is unlike any other I've ever experienced. I didn't think a sky could feel heavier than a mid-winter grey in Poland, but London beats it hands-down.

Today, though, the sky wasn't grey. It was a strange shade of orange -- the sun filtering through a mid-level layer of clouds. I've tried unsuccessfully to capture the colour, but you still get an idea of the odd light. The only other time I've seen light like that was in 1992, when the smoke from massive forest fires in Quebec blew across Nova Scotia.

I think I prefer grey.

No comments: