Monday, February 8, 2010

The Plot Thickens

Over the past few days, I've been busily sketching out an outline for a new novel idea. (Yes, I'm still revising Novel Number 4, but as my head was about to explode from trying to corral it into order, I needed a break.) What I'm discovering is that I really, really like to make things complicated - even when I don't need to!

I've tried a lot of things with plotting and structuring, but I confess it's not something I ever got the hang of (of which I got the hang? hmm). From just writing to plotting all the focal points, turning points ad nauseum, I still hadn't found my way. I'm not sure that I have quite yet, but I'm trying a new pared-down approach which should make things easier for people like me who like to make things more complex than they should be. It goes something like this (courtesy of Mary Naylus, YA author):

Once you have your concept and your one-line pitch, get a piece of paper. Mark out Turning Point 1, Turning Point 2, Climax and Resolution for your main character. Do the same for your subplots. Then fill in the events and join up the subplots. In this way, you can make sure everything stays on track.

Sounds simple, right?

I'd love to hear how other people plot and structure their novels! Please, do tell...

3 comments:

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Sounds simple enough. Why is it taking me so long to finish my 'works of art'!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Try this site http://storyfix.com/category/story-structure-series/page/2 It will really get your head spinning. I put a link to it on my sidebar so I can keep going back to it.

Marsha said...

I know, Ken! I'm right there with you!

Karen, those posts are great - thanks! Although they did indeed make my head spin.