Monday, January 4, 2010

Writing on the Wall

In a city as old as London, it's no surprise that buildings are constantly reincarnated as new businesses take over the premises. One of the most fascinating things is the signs they leave behind -- quite literally.

Strolling up to Notting Hill Gate for our Sunday morning coffee, The Man and I came across two such signs within about 200 metre.


Now an antique shop and a money exchange, this building used to be - you guessed it - a timber merchants. Hard to imagine that nowadays in posh Kensington.

Not sure if this was for an business or if it was an advert, but if you liked the 'finest ever' marmalade then you'd come to the right place.


Hankering after more signs of the times? Derelict London has some great ones on their website.

5 comments:

Nayuleska said...

That's fascinating! I love London, and have dreamed of living there. There are so many interesting places to see. Maybe one day....

Marsha said...

Let me know if you ever make it here! It is indeed a great place to live.

Nayuleska said...

The great plan is, once I achieve country/world domination through my novels, I can then move wherever I like. :)

Marsha said...

Ah yes, I have that plan in action too!

Nayuleska said...

Where would you move to?