Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas!

One day too late, I know, but I couldn't tear myself away from my food-induced stupor yesterday to even contemplate the mental energy it would take to write a post. I hope everyone had a very good day, wherever you are!

Christmas Day in London dawned a mixture of sun and cloud, and after opening our gifts and scoffing some pain au chocolat and nuts, we decided to take a walk on the South Bank. The streets were surreally quiet without the ever-present red double-deckers, but there were plenty of people out and about (mainly tourists, I divined by the presence of maps and guide books).

The wind along the South Bank was brisk and clouds moved in but we persevered, crossing the Millennium Bridge and entering St Paul's for a nose around (mainly, to get warm). I had every intention of heading out to the Midnight Mass the night before, but as in the past three years I couldn't rouse myself to leave my warm cozy flat in the near-midnight hours.

We wrapped up again and headed back to the other side of the Thames, stopping for a glass of mulled wine at the Founder's Arms. Back at the flat, darkness fell as we curled up on the sofas and snoozed to the comforting sound of Wallace and Grommit, punctuated only by the sizzles of turkey fat dripping onto the oven burners.

No comments: