Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Food Factor

Why is it that when I'm writing, every other activity away from my desk immediately become extremely attractive? Especially in the afternoon, when my concentration begins to wane. It's incredible how strong the urge is to scrub the kitchen floor, given that I'm not exactly obsessive about cleanliness. Or how the half-mouldy loaf of bread on the counter suddenly acquires the allure of a freshly baked baguette.

Onto food. It's it dangerous thing to have around when you're procrastinating, hence the reason I try not to buy anything 'naughty'. I know that despite my best intentions, I'll fabricate excuses to go to the kitchen until it's gone. Here's a list of foods I can no longer buy owing to my disastrous lack of willpower:

Rice cakes - I can't stop at one. Especially the salt and vinegar!
Pine nuts - or any nuts for that matter. One handful is never enough.
Bran Flakes - yes, I've even found a way to crave the blandest of bland cereals.
Hot chocolate - big mistake to buy the mixing powder. I actually resorted to eating it sans liquid.
Sourdough bread with rosemary - Whole Foods is evil. This bread is SO good, especially toasted with tons of butter. One loaf = one day.

I'm sure there are more but I don't want to think about it too much for fear I'll call up any suppressed memories.

No comments: